Canada is frequently voted one of the best countries in the world to live in. It is well known for its high standard of living, clean environment, low crime rate, and outstanding infrastructure.
The Immigrant Investor Program is designed to attract qualified business people who are able to contribute to Canada’s growth by making a significant investment into Canada’s economy. Investors who meet all the requirements of this Canadian immigration program, along with their immediate family members, may obtain their Canadian permanent resident visas (so long as they are not found inadmissible for medical or security reasons).
Canada Residency By Investment
The country has a long tradition of immigration and an elaborate system to evaluate and admit new residents. Citizenship is available after three years of residence (and 183 days minimum physical presence during each of the three calendar years). The Canadian passport is one of the best travel documents in the world.
You can establish residence by applying for Canadian permanent residence in one the following categories:
- Self-employed persons
- Skilled workers and professionals
Once your application is approved, you and members of your immediate family may enjoy all the advantages of Canadian citizenship (with the exception of voting and holding political office), including access to excellent free health care and first-class education.
Investors must meet the following requirements to qualify for this Canadian immigration investor program:
- The investor must not intend to live in Quebec (see Quebec Investor Program if Quebec is your desired destination)
- The investor must be able to demonstrate that he or she has the necessary business experience. This can be done by having owned and operated a qualifying business or by managing a staff of at least 5 employees
- The investor must have a minimum net worth of $1,600,000 CAD (such money must have been legally obtained)
- The investor must make a $800,000 CAD investment to the Government of Canada (which will be returned to the investor 5 years later, without interest)
- The investor (and family members) are not found inadmissible on grounds such as health and security.
Overview of Investor Visa Canada
The immigrant investor programs were created by the Canadian government to attract wealthy businesspeople and their capital to Canada. Investors and their immediate family can gain permanent residence in Canada by satisfying the following five government selection criteria:
- You must demonstrate relevant business experience, as defined under the regulations. In essence, you must have previously managed or operated a qualified business for at least two out of five years preceding your application.
- You and your spouse must have legally obtained a personal net worth of a minimum of CAD 2 million.
- Your entire family must complete and pass Canada’s medical and security evaluations.
- You must invest CAD 1.2 million for a period of five years at no interest (0%) under one of the two available immigrant investor programs. The investment is government-guaranteed and will be repaid in full at the end of the investment period.
- You will also be assessed on age, language, education, experience, and time spent in Quebec on a points-based system.
There are several ways to become a permanent resident in Canada. The most popular economic programs are:
- The Quebec Immigrant Investor Program
- The Express Entry Program (federal)
- The Provincial Nominee Programs
The selection procedure is similar under both the federal and Quebec programs, with the following distinction: applicants who want to establish themselves economically in the province of Quebec have to obtain a certificate of selection of Quebec (CSQ) before applying for permanent residence to the Government of Canada. Applicants and their dependents will be assessed on health and security grounds. Holders of a CSQ are required to reside in the province of Quebec.
Advantages of Canadian Citizenship By Investment
- One of the highest standards of living in the world
- Affordable, high quality education
- Multicultural, tolerant, and vibrant cities
- Excellent place to do business, with access to the entire North American market
- Eligibility to apply for citizenship following three years of the five-year residence period
How To Apply
In order to be considered for the residence programs, an application must be submitted to the relevant government office. At this point, a file reference number is issued, allowing applicants to check the status of their applications. Once approval has been given, if you are from a nonvisa exempt country, you will be required to submit your passport to the local Canadian embassy or consulate, and the permanent resident visa will be issued.
Once you arrive in Canada with the visa, you are granted permanent residence. Application processing times differ depending on which category they fall under and where the application was submitted. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website gives a breakdown of estimated processing times. Note that in order to maintain permanent resident status, physical presence for two out of five years in Canada is required.